Friday, July 23, 2010

Hiking, Bugs, and Ice Cream

This past week we had the opportunity to go on a family hike. All of us, including India, set out into the woods. Despite the humidity (which I am STILL not used to), the weather was great for a hike. Here are some pictures of our journey:

The sign at the beginning of the trail:

All the kids and India posing in a nice shady area.

This spot was one with a beautiful view out over the Farmington Valley area. Jake said, "Connecticut sure is beautiful." And, he is right!

Another picture in the same spot with me.

Now, add Robb to the mix.

Halfway through our hike we stopped and had a picnic lunch of sandwiches, chips and apples. We were hungry so it seemed like we were eating a gourmet meal! After we ate, the boys were anxious to get going so Robb told them they could continue on the hike following the BLUE paint marks on the trees. (Notice the blue paint on the tree behind the boys in this picture.) He said to follow the paint until they came to a pavilion, then stop and wait there for the rest of us. So, off they went! Well, when we got to the pavilion the boys were nowhere to be found. I, of course, panicked. We were shouting for them and Robb went ahead on the trail while Audrey, Kate, India, and I waited at the pavilion. We could hear Robb shouting the boys' names, each time getting farther and farther away. I was worried and started thinking the worst. After what seemed like an eternity, I see Robb coming through the woods with three boys. Their faces were red from sweat (see picture below). They apparently didn't know what a pavilion was and just kept following the blue paint marks. Finally, they came to a stranger farther up the trail who told them they better turn around and head back! I was so relieved that this stranger was a nice person! Who knows what could have happened. My mind ran through all of the scenarios. This picture was taken right after we were reunited. They all know what a pavilion is now!

Here I am still looking worried. It took a little time for the worry to wear off.

Audrey and me.
Robb and all the boys.


Here we are getting a very much needed drink!




Audrey
Forest
Josh
Jake








Josh
Jake
Kate
Me





Along the way, we found some interesting looking bugs and the kids were very excited about it. (Yes, I said they were excited about bugs!) Of course, we had to snap some pictures. So, here they are:

Here are the boys and Kate around a catepillar.

Kate getting a closer look...

And here's the little guy everyone is so interested in.

Here's another new friend...
(Yes, that small hand at the top is Kate's! Eeww!)

Taking a break at the end of the hike:
India, Jake, Audrey, and Kate

Kate, Audrey, Josh, and India

After our hike, we decided to stop for a nice, cool treat. We stopped at J. Foster's Ice Cream for ice cream cones. Since we had India with us, we ordered our ice cream and ate it outside by the car. From these pictures, it looks like we are still in the woods, not in town. But, this is what a lot of the towns look like around here. Lots of trees and green!


Robb and Kate shared an ice cream cone.











YUMMY!




Audrey with chocolate brownie ice cream and Forest with black raspberry ice cream.



Jake had Reese peanut butter ice cream while Josh opted for fresh squeezed lemonade.
He choose that over ice cream!


It was a great day!

7 comments:

  1. I am loving reading all about your adventures (so far)! Keep 'em coming! I'm also glad you found your boys. Holy crap, that's always scary, and a gut wrenching feeling when your kid is missing. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I tried to post a comment just barely, so if for some reason, you get two of the same thing, I'm sorry.
    I just wanted to say, I'm so glad you are having fun on all your adventures (so far)! Keep 'em coming! Also, I am glad you found your boys. There is no worse feeling for a mom than to not know where her babies are! Whew! Love you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you are enjoying Connecticut and having fun learning about all the attractions there. So glad the boys were safe!!! I would NOT be hiking with the heat and humidity you are having right now but I'm glad you had fun. It just seems like you are on vacation and will be back home soon...we miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are having lots of fun, Cindy! I have to admit, I'm not used to the humidity yet. That day on our hike, I was completely drenched in sweat. But, it was fun anyway.
    I feel like we are on vacation, too. It doesn't feel like home here yet but I know it will soon enough. I miss everyone in the neighborhood there...you all still feel like my family! I'm so glad we can keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are all doing well. I'm sure it's so nice to be a 'family' again. I would have freaked out at the boys being gone too. You may be a worrier, but you aren't alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that you are all back together and having a good time. It is lovely back east and there is so much to do. I imagine that you and your kiddies will rarely get bored...if you dare venture out into the humidity!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like fun! I miss how green the east coast is, and the fall is even pretty, I'm so jealous!! Keep posting pics, I'll come visit eventually :) I miss you, but I'm glad to see you are enjoying such a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete