Friday, October 15, 2010

Feeling Festive

I don't know what it is about holidays but when they come around I always seem to want to make something new or try a new recipe. I love it! Well, I was on Facebook and saw a link on one of my friend's profiles showing instructions on how to make this really, really cute Halloween centerpiece. I looked at it and naturally thought, "I can make that." Now, keep in mind I'm not the most crafty person. Sometimes I wonder why I think I can make things or bake something just by following the instructions. Believe me, I've had my fair share of bloopers! Well, this turned out to be a different experience. I made the centerpiece and am now quite proud of it.

As I was walking through Michaels shopping for materials I was quite excited. There were so many Halloween things to pick from and I had to really debate with myself on what I wanted to get. I felt like I could spend hours there AND spend lots of money. It reminded me of how my husband is when he goes to Home Depot, Lowes, or any other home improvement store. This made me smile.

Well, I shared my new found love of Michaels with my mom, who is an avid crafter (and quite good at it, I might add). Through the phone line, I could hear the giddiness in her voice and she actually said to me, "You don't know how happy this makes me." I still laugh when I think about it. I forsee many more trips to Michaels in the future and definitely some with my mom.

Here is my creation:

Isn't it cute? Try it. YOU can make it!

A close up look

Where I saw the idea:
http://www.oneshetwoshe.com/2010/10/halloween-paper-centerpiece-tutorial.html

The cost:

Basket for base: $2.99
Flower foam: $2.27
Plant stakes (I used in place of skewers): $2.99
Spanish moss: $2.99
3 pieces of 12x12 paper on sale for $0.41 each: $1.33
Embellishments: $2.39

TOTAL: $14.96

I have supplies left over. I didn't even use half of the plant stakes, spanish moss, or embellishments. Looks like I will be starting my own supply of crafting supplies.

5 comments:

  1. I love this centerpiece, Stacy! You did an excellent job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Stacey. When you start a stash of craft supplies, you have to have somewhere to put it all. That is why I purchased the handy-dandy kraft organizer pieces from Ben Franklin. You can build it however you want and store tons of stuff.
    Good job to you, I think your centerpiece is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I am realizing that I don't have an organizational system to store all of my crafting supplies. I will have to find something like you did, Marciea! The beauty of it all is that I actually have the room in my house to put it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at you Ms. Crafty! That is so cute! I know unpacking can take some time, but I hope everything is feeling more like home!

    ReplyDelete