Friday, June 18, 2010

Adventures in Tie-Dying

This week the kids and I tried something new. We tie-dyed some t-shirts for the first time. It was more easy than I thought it would be. You can't really do it wrong. Here are some pictures of what we created.

This first picture is of the shirts still rubberbanded. The dye is soaking into the shirts as they sit for 6-8 hours. Then, they have to be washed and dried SEPARATELY. The kids were a bit anxious to see how they turned out (and so was I) so I was up until 1 a.m. washing and drying the shirts.


Here is the shirt I made:


Audrey's shirt:


Forest's shirt:


Since Robb, Josh, and Jake couldn't be here to do it with us, we made them each their own shirt.

Josh's shirt:


Jake's shirt:


This is Robb's shirt. We tried a new design with this one and it turned out pretty good. Now, the only question is, Will Robb wear this shirt? Not likely, but at least he knows we were thinking of him and now has another t-shirt to sleep in.


This is an extra shirt that we tried a new design on. I think it's a favorite.


For our first time tie-dying, we did pretty good! Near the end we got braver and tried new designs. Next time, we know what to expect and can only improve our tie-dying abilities.

5 comments:

  1. Love it! They turned out great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tie-dyed anything but have helped with a couple of functions doing so. Maybe one day I'll take the plunge and actually do it. Your shirts turned out really great.
    One of Alyssa's favorite tie-dyed shirt ever is a black and white one. I did buy it, though, so it was super easy to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was fun and like I said, way easier than I thought it would be. The kids had fun, too. I think they'd like to do it again. I just don't know how many tie-dyed shirts a person need!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! They turned out great. My girls would LOVE doing it, I'm just not sure if I'm that adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those turned out great Stacey! what a fun project!

    ReplyDelete